It’s kind of hard to believe I’ve been writing about my life on the internet for a year – but I have!
One year ago today, I published this site for the world to see. I published my first true post on January 2 (there were some other ones that preceded this one but have since been deleted), and the rest is history!
I didn’t really know what I wanted to do with Tiny Ambitions when I first started, but I knew I just wanted to write about my life and my journey to simplify. And that’s exactly what I’ve done. This year, I’ve found myself at an interesting intersection of minimalism, living the simple life, and saving up for my own tiny house.
I talked a little about this journey in the most recent episode of Tiny Bites, but I wanted to share a little more detail here.
While this year hasn’t been perfect or easy by any means, it has been great. I changed jobs, moved halfway across the province, kept up this blog and started a podcast. I don’t like to toot my own horn, but this year has been a great triumph of self-commitment. I committed to writing on this blog once a week, as a way to stay accountable to myself in my simple living journey as well as to share my insights with those starting down the same path. People who know me in my real, non-blog life often say I put other people’s needs ahead of my own (you know who you are). So, for me to be able to commit to myself in such a visible way, is a big accomplishment for me.
The best days this year have been getting comments and emails from readers saying they really needed to hear what I had to say. Knowing that my experience has positively impacted someone else in the big wide world is truly amazing to me. I am eternally grateful for all of the people out there who have read my blog over the course of the year, even if it was just once.
Speaking of people, what I didn’t expect to happen this year was to come across some truly amazing bloggers who are going through similar journeys as myself. I wanted to give a shoutout to all the blogs I read on a weekly basis – if you haven’t come across them before, give them a click!
- Lisa’s Simple Life Experiment
- Lisa was the very first person to ever comment on one of my posts. She started her blog almost on the same day that I did and we’ve been blog friends ever since. Besides sharing awesome simple living and sustainability tips, she also has a recipe collection of low sugar meals that are to die for.
- The Luxe Strategist
- Luxe is one of those bloggers who you genuinely learn something from every week. From how to ask for raise at work, to taking care of your clothes so they last forever, she’s got you covered. Luxe believes that you can have your cake and eat it too when it comes to personal finance and living in luxury. And I totally dig that.
- Jessica Rose Williams
- I love Jessica’s take on minimalist and slow travel (her carry-on packing lists are incredible). If you need help in the minimalist wardrobe department, she’s your gal! As a special bonus, her Instagram is incredibly drool-worthy.
- She Picks Up Pennies
- Penny is another great blogger in the personal finance space. What I love about her is her no-nonsense approach to saving and spending money. No gimmicks, no tricks – just her real-life experience traversing the wild world of being a teacher, a mother, and a blogger.
- Smile and Conquer
- Fellow Canadian blogger Sarah blogs about personal finance with a wit and sarcastic flair you don’t see too often in the (sometimes stuffy) PF community. Plus, she tweets about the Oilers a lot. A Canadian gal after my own heart!
- The Rinky Dink Life
- Besides sharing a similar spelling to our name, Brittany from The Rinky Dink Life is a true gem. She blogs about being childfree and every time I read one of her posts, I want to cheer. I always love what she has to say on the topic and I think it’s very courageous of her to blog about being childfree in a world that loves to tell women what they should be doing with their bodies.
- Bitches Get Riches
- If you guessed that BGR is a sarcastic haven of personal finance advice – you’d be right. If you aren’t at least a little offended by one of their posts, you need to have some stronger views. Of particular interest here is their series on Tiny Houses – if you’re a diehard fan of the movement, brace yourself. Despite our differing views on this topic, I absolutely adore them. Their GIF game is also on-point!
- The Lady in the Black
- I cannot think of a funnier, more self-deprecating blogger than The Lady. She’s hilarious, she’s not afraid to get real about her finances, and she is really engaged with the PF community. Plus, her name and logo is pure marketing genius.
This is by no means an exhaustive list of all the great blogs I’ve come across this year (but, if I included everybody, this post would never end). You might have noticed a trend on the list though – all the amazing bloggers I’ve come across this year are women! It makes me incredibly proud to know so many badass women stirring up the proverbial pot on the internet and sharing their stories. I can’t wait to see what 2018 holds for all of us!
What does 2018 hold for Tiny Ambitions? Who knows. I’m just so grateful that you guys have been along for the ride.
Is there anything you want me to write more about in 2018? What was your favourite blog you discovered this year? Let me know in the comments below!
Image Credit: Tiny Ambitions